CBIRF Education

Information and helpful education links can befound by using the Internet to search for specifics schoolsand degrees.

Tuition Assistance can not be issued prior to completing College 101 Brief.

1. I.D. school desired, ensure it has the type of accreditation you desire and that it offers a SOCMAR/SOCNAV agreement.
2. Once you have found the school you want to attend; contact the Admissions office and register with the school, don’t register for a class until you have been issued TA.
3. If required, take your placement tests, speak with your counselor & I.D. desired classes.
4. Fill out the T.A. application located on the CBIRF Share Drive, under Education or outside the Chaplain’s Office.
5. Have the Education SNCOIC sign your TA application.
6. Fax your TA application to the Navy College at 202-433-2704. Ensure you call them to verify receipt of your fax. The Navy College has a 2 day turn around time each TA request.
7. They will reply to your fax by sending you a Voucher approving you for TA; deliver the authorization voucher to your school. Keep a copy.
8. Pay student share, if applicable.
9. Fax grades to NETPDTC (Marine Corps) at 850-451-1149

CBIRF Education Officer

U.S. Navy Lt. Joel A. Ramirez



Navy College Office, Main Office
Anacostia Annex, DCBldg. 150, room 209
Phone: 202- 433-3615
Fax: (202) 433 2704
Hours of Operation: M-F - 0730-1600
Director: TBD
Counselor: 202-433-0565
Counselor: Desmon.pier-louis@navy.mil
Counselor: Andrea.gibbons.ctr.navy.mil

Navy College Learning Center
Anacostia Annex, DCBldg. 150, Room 219
Counselor: washingtondcnclc@plato.com
Hours of Operation: M-Th: 0900-1800 Fri: 0900-1300 
Phone: (202)610-7300

MCB Henderson Hall
1555 S. Southgate Road Arlington, VA 22214
Counselor: Patricia M. Hughes, hughespm@hqmc.usmc.mil
Phone: (703) 614-9104
DSN: 224-9104/6
Fax: (703) 614-7848

Andrews Education Services Center
Andrews AFB, Bldg 1413, Suite 100
Phone: (301) 981-6377
DSN: 858-6377
Fax Commercial: (301) 981-7456
Fax DSN: 858-7456
Hours of Operation: Mon, Wed, Thur - 0800-1430, Friday - 0800-1100, Tue, Sat, Sun - Closed

Post 911 GI Bill family transfer rules

Benefits can be shared with a spouse, one child or several children, as long as those receiving the benefits are enrolled in the military’s Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System at the time a member transfers benefits.

Service members can transfer any or all of their unused benefits, up to the maximum of 36 months of benefits. Changes in the sharing arrangement among family members can be made only once a month.

Basic eligibility rules require a member to have at least six years of service and make a new commitment for another four to transfer benefits. A spouse can begin using transferred benefits before the additional four years are served, but children may not use benefits until a service member has completed at least 10 years of service.

A service member with 10 years of service who is prevented by defense or service policy or law from serving an additional four years could still share benefits under one of the special rules that would apply to officers twice passed over for promotion and enlisted members facing high-year tenure or other standards.

They could transfer benefits if they agree to serve the maximum additional time they are allowed to remain in the service.

Additionally, a more generous temporary rule — good only through 2013 — allows people who already have a set retirement date or who will become retirement-eligible before Aug. 1, 2012, to share benefits without completing four additional years of service.

How they will be treated depends on their retirement eligibility and plans:

• Anyone eligible for retirement on Aug. 1, 2009, will be allowed to transfer benefits without any additional service. Additionally, no further service will be required for anyone who has an approved retirement date after Aug. 1, 2009, but before July 1, 2010.
• Those who become eligible for retirement after Aug. 1, 2009, and before Aug. 1, 2010, must serve one year in the military after transferring benefits to their family.
• Those who become eligible for retirement after Aug. 1, 2010, and before Aug. 1, 2011, must serve two years after transferring benefits.
• Those who become eligible for retirement after Aug. 1, 2011, and before Aug. 1, 2012, must serve three years after transferring benefits.
• Those who become eligible for retirement after Aug. 1, 2012, would have to serve four years after transferring benefits.

Chemical Biological Incident Response Force